26 January 2010

Surrender

Our pastor gave an awesome message on surrendering our will to God this past weekend and I can't stop thinking about it. Surrendering our will is a moment by moment choice, will we choose ourselves 1st or God? He defined it as giving up something good for something much greater. This is so often the case, it's not that we are having to give up something bad, most of the time we are having to give up something good knowing that God's plan for our lives is so much greater and beyond what we could ever have imagined. Are we willing to give up our earthly treasures for heavenly ones? My answer in my head is of course yes but in my heart I wonder if that is really true. Charles ended the sermon with a story about a mom in Haiti who was interviewed and had lost both of her kids, an 18 month old and a 6 year old in the quake. She said that the only thing that got her though was the verse in Psalms that talks about God is our rock and our refuge, our ever present source in trouble. WOW, could I be that mom? Could I stand there after losing everyone I love and say all I need is Jesus? I hope I will never have to experience that extreme loss but I do want to live every moment as though Jesus is all I am living for.

1 comment:

Sara said...

ok i loved this post, but i have to admit i read it not a minute after i read your facebook post about the cherry chip cake--hahahahaha. I had to laugh at the irony!!!!! (grin!)