08 June 2010
Attempt at Gardening
So this weekend was my first true gardening experience. I have been looking more closely at my yard and getting really annoyed t the horrible job our landscapers did. Plants in strange places, the wrong types of plants and then just really boring layout. I know my mom says if you want something like this done right you have to either stay on top of the workers like a hawk or just do it yourself. Well the yard is in so that 1st ship has sailed, now I just have the joy of trying to fix it. I spent Sat. afternoon and Sunday removing, re-planting and adding in a few new plants. I have super rocky but sandy soil so I was removing rocks about 10-14 inches large as I was digging the holes, NOT FUN! All in all I think I dug about 15 holes and I have the sunburn on my back to prove it. I thought I'd get a start on a tan while I worked, not so much I am just bright red instead! But I will say I am proud of my work, it looks much better and hopefully by next year the plants will be a bit larger and it will look even better. I didn't take pictures of the other side where I just moved stuff around but you get the idea. I removed all of these dark red thorny hellish bushes from where the kiddos play and now there is green, purple and orange there so that will be nice. I still have one more side of the yard to do but I don't have the plants for that yet so it will have to wait. Other than the sunburn I got my first bee sting too, it was definitely a weekend of 1st's, hopefully all my hard work pays off and nothing dies. I don't know if I am ready to say I enjoy gardening but I definitely enjoy the final product, make most of it (all but the bee sting) worth it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
so fun! It will be even better when it starts growing and you see the results next year! :) I was laughing--I've got a little list of things to blog about, and my I finally took pics of my backyard, and was going to post about it this week--you're one step ahead but of the same mind, friend! :)
Post a Comment