17 January 2009

Tightening the Reigns

Wow, it has been quite the week. Getting back into the swing of things is rather exhausting at 7 mo. prego. I think I am caught up on laundry but there are still piles of clean clothes to be hung up and put away, yikes! The most trying part of the week, however, has been getting Elijah back into the routine of things. For whatever reason we must have loosened his reigns, so to speak, while on our trip because I have had a heck of a time getting him to listen to me since being home! There have been lots of tears and fits and stubborn moments on his part and it is all because he somehow thinks he has more freedoms than he really does. We are all for giving our 2 year old independent spirit choices, it works really well for him to think he has a choice, but lately the time it takes for him to make his decision is the issue. For example, I will say "okay boys time to go" and ask Eli if he wants me to get his snow coat off the hook or if he wants to get it and he will wander around or just stand there for 30sec.-1min no saying anything. So I then grab the coat and he screams that he wants to do it, I say "tough, you need to listen the 1st time and make your choice quickly" and then I get to carry a screaming kid to the car and wrangle him into his car seat! So frustrating when you are in a hurry. I told Joe on of the 1st nights we were home that he(Eli) needed to do things more quickly when asked or he had to sit in the naughty spot and he agreed, it's been a trying week but I feel like we are making progress, he knows we mean business (me for sure, Joe is trying) and our naughty spot is getting lots of use, but the time he has to sit there is getting shorter before he is willing to comply. I'll take it! Oh the joys of independent, free spirited, stubborn 2 years old boys, wonder what 3 will bring...

3 comments:

Katie said...

Sounds like you are doing a really good job of being consistent!--I think that can be one of the toughest parts of discipline.

I love our spirited children! :)

Sara said...

we had the time thing be an issue for a bit, too--you're doing exactly what we did--that was the only time we've counted for Averie, too, giving her til the count of 10 to choose a book, etc. That way, she was still given a bit of time to make a decision. Keep at it! It'll stick sometime!!
Our issue is now biting (Elena)...not angry biting, but happy biting. How in the world do you get a happy biter?! How sad when your older child is afraid (rightly so!) of your younger! (grin)

MKTaylor said...

The first week we are home from a trip (or when grandparents leave town) we call "detox" at our house. It is painful for everyone to get back on track... especially for us parents! Hang in there! We have had some pretty tough detox weeks at our house, but I have survived.
-Kelly