19 June 2007

Potty Training

Okay so I started potty training Miles and I'm stuck! He knows for the most part what to do while we are at home (pee wise) but when we are out he wants a diaper on and when I ask him if he needs to go he says, "umm, nope" (as his diaper fills). I let him pick out underwear, tried to put pullups on him, he wants nothing to do with it! I'm hoping it's just a process, but any advice would be great! At home he wears nothing and we have only had a few minor accidents, he catches himself and then finishes on the potty. This morning he said, "oh no, not again" and then came to me and finished on the potty. It was sooo cute, I know he's getting it but he is just not motivated by anything: jelly beans, chocolate chips, stickers, if he's not in the mood that's it! I'm trying not to get frustrated and just go with the flow, hehe! no pun intended ;)

4 comments:

The Weaver Family said...

I literally stayed home with Izzy for two weeks straight. It was too stressful to go to out (& too confusing for him to go back to a diaper.) I hated pull-ups (izzy couldn't tell the difference from a diaper). It is all about patience and love. I also would just put a towel over his car seat and just go for it without diapers. The more I went all out the better Izzy did not going back and forth. I just didn't give him a choice. Also I let Izzy use the big potty. He didn't want anything to do with the little kid one but once I let him just go in ours he was super motivated. Anyhow keep it up Ricci!

Ricci said...

Thank you! Miles is using the big potty with a little bjorn seat over it. He seems to do better with that too, I don't know what to do about staying home, I have biblestudy and errands but I suppose I should just buck up and do it. I agree Miles is getting way confused by going back and forth, I'll try it! Thanks

Katie said...

Ricci - I obviously have NO advice since you're the one who gains this kind of wisdom before I do... :) I had been meaning to ask the last couple of times I saw you about whether or not you'd started potty training, since I remember you had even toyed with the idea before Eli was born. Miles is a very sharp kid, so I'm sure he'll catch on really quickly--when he wants to of course! :)

Sheyb said...

I don't have boys, but I have definitely been through the potty training with Angelina. My advice? Do not rush him. He may not be ready yet. We started potty training Angelina at 2 1/2 and she didn't want anything to do with it like Miles doesn't. We let it go for a few more months, and then tried again... the 2nd time? SUCCESS!!! :) But, rushing them just normally makes them hate it more. You can also try and throw some cheerios in the toilet and have him aim for them. :) Make it like a game. ;)