19 February 2008
SUPER UT
So far there are a lot of great things in Utah, we are liking it a lot, but there are a few things that are rather humorus to a non native. The first is, everything here is Super. No joke we have a Super Target, a Super Walmart, and just the other day I drove past a Super Sears! And just like the name these stores are SUPER Grande, They probably take up and untire city block and are so overwhelming I don't know where to begin for fear I will never find the exit! I haven't been into Super Sears yet but the other 2 have anything you could ever want or imagine, you just have to spend and hour trying to find the one item in millions that you are looking for. Not so easy with kids but I guess it is a whole new meaning to one-stop shopping! The drivers here fall into to catagories, really slow or dangerously fast. It's amazing, some drive so crazy fast it makes me nervous and others drive so slow I look like the crasy fast one. The other thing to get used to is: all of the streets here are numbered, not named. Oh and they drop the last 2 zeros off of every street number for no aparent reason. So 10600 is the 106, 9000 is 90th and so on. Joe said so it 40th .4 then? We didn't get an answer. Everything is based off of the main temple(0,0) and the streets change numbers for no obvious reason too. The 106 is the 104 at our house and the 70th is 72nd off the freeway. So much for being on a grid, so far I've done pretty well, it a good thing I get numbers!! I'm sure in a few years we'll think nothing of it but for now I'm having fun trying to figure this state and these people out!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
STRANGE!!! At least not everything is in Spanish... Dropping the last zeroes is weird--good question, Joe! :)
hey! we're ready for more pics!!!
you'll probably learn to LOVE the super stores--that you can get everything there once you get a map to navigate TO them and THROUGH them!!
We have a Super Walmart and a Super Target here as well. :) No super Sears, though. Which is fine, because we don't shop at Sears. ;) The highways are EXTREMELY confusing here too! I remember getting lost several times when we first moved out here. Fortunately, I have been to Scottsdale and was there for 3 weeks, so I basically know my way around.
The zeros being dropped is weird, and confusing! I am sure you'll figure it out in no time! How far are you from Salt Lake?
Post a Comment