16 July 2007
Eye on the prize
Today I was reminded during our small group meeting how important it is to keep our eye on the prize, that is, heaven. It is so easy in our everyday lives to get caught up in the materialism race and forget what our real purpose on this earth is, to win people for Christ and become more like Him each day. Not that I am so caught up in this world, but I don't ever want to be. I want it to be evident in all that I do that for me, as with Paul, "to live is Christ to die is gain." There is nothing wrong with having things, but I want the things to be so far down on my list of priorities that they have no hold on me to keep me from doing what I am on this earth to do. I think it gets really frustrating here especially because of all the wealth that is around us and how people in So Cal live. I just want to yell to everyone, "You can't take any of this STUFF with you, get over yourselves!" Compassion is a weak area for me ;) I need to refocus on winning people by how I live my life differently. So that's my goal, please pray for the process, that God would reveal any areas to which I am blind to my own faults.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really think that we all get caught up in materialism on this earth. After all, we are human. :) But it's the reminder of what we are here for, and we need to do that keeps some of us from venturing off too far. Having things on this earth isn't bad, and being successful and driving around nice cars and having nice houses isn't bad either. As long as it's not done in vein. At least that is what I think. I have a nice house, and we have nice things, but it doesn't get in the way of God (well... sometimes it might... but then I realize it has, and change it). Seeking the Lord can be hard, due to the fact that we are human, and it is in our nature to want things, and to be jealous, and to covet, but it's us that keep our eye on the prize that normally get yanked back from it all and realize what we are doing to make us realize we need to focus on the Lord more, and not our things. Good thoughts Ric! :)
Post a Comment